Selecting an area rug
Looking for an area rug can be a daunting task if you are not armed with simple but necessary information that allows you to wade through the myriad of choices. When decorating your home, it is important to think of your flooring as the foundation of your home. Area rugs visually integrate and harmonize design elements in the room.
Normally when selecting a rug, measure the furniture that will be on the rug, then go to the closest size up.
You can go more modern by using a smaller rug or even fill the room with a large rug that has at least 2 feet around the rug. For example if your room is 12×12 get a rug as close to 8×8 as possible.
Benefits of area rugs
- Many styles and colors
- Can protect an area.
- Can make a room more usable.
- Change the look and feel of a room.
- Area rugs can be a perfect accent piece to a room or they can steal the show if selected in a bold color or pattern.
- Can soften the feel of a room and add texture and interest.
- Come in an endless variety of colors.
- Strategically placed area rugs can complement new hardwood floors.
- Protects hardwood floors from pets and high traffic areas
- Area rugs allow you to diversify the accent colors in your room.
- Wall color, accessory colors in throw cushions and wall art are a great way to integrate your area rug colors into your room.
- Do not try to match the rug to the base color in the room.